Alltel SMS

July 28, 2006 by Dylan Tweney

If your cellular service provider is Alltel, here’s what you need to know about using SMS text messaging with your cell phone. Alltel calls it “Axcess Text Messaging.”

• Maximum message length: 200 characters [according to commenter Edward, below].
  • What happens to longer messages: Split into a maximum of two 100-character messages.
  • Cost per message: 15 cents per message sent or received; 25 cents per picture message. (Messaging packs reduce the cost if you send hundreds of SMS messages per month.)
  • For more information: Axcess Text Messaging
  • Sending email to your phone: Use the address format: [10-digit phone number]@message.alltel.com
    Example: 2125551212@message.alltel.com

Note: The correct spelling is “Alltel,” not “Alltell.”

Updated 7/2/2008

13 Responses to “Alltel SMS”

1. Edward says:

I did a little test by sending a message to myself @message.alltel.com. I sent a message of 350 characters. I received the first 200 characters split into two messages of 100 characters each. The rest was lost.

2. Anonymous says:

ARE YOU ABLE TO SEND PICTURES USING YOUR METHOD? I HAVE AN IPHONE WITH AT&T; AND MY BUDDY HAS ALLTEL. I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL TIMES TO SEND HIM A PHOTO USING YOUR METHOD. HE GETS THE TEXT BUT NO PHOTO. LET ME KNOW. THANKS.

YOU CAN ANSWER ME AT LEEDOWNEY@YADTEL.NET

THANKS

3. Anonymous says:

MMS to at&t; don’t work from alltel for whatever reason. tried that with a friend too. not even cingular store could help us.

4. lewi10 says:

Can you send audio attachments?

5. Anonymous says:

I see your advise here for all different carriers, but nothing for centennial. Where do you find the code for that carrier?

6. Anonymous says:

Centennial’s address for sending sms (10 digit number)@cwemail.com
    ;)

7. Nemo says:

Alltel doesn’t use real mms, or even ems for whatever reason. I don’t know, maybe these are 3G features?? What I do know is your only choice is for your friend to have Axcess Web (WAP) or better on his handset, and for you to upload the image file to the web, or host it however. I know there are lots of sites to help with this. I know photo.walgreens.com lets you send mms to save@mywalgreens.com, but google around for something better. Then you can sms the url’s to him and his browser should load it. As for Alltel lacking mms, heh, I’m typing this on my macbook pro tethered to my phone. True ip networking over sweet sweet EV-DO. A lot of jitter but blazing speed, just slightly faster than satellite. So go alltel and go cdma in general!

8. Anonymous says:

When will alltel change to verizon?

9. att does not currently support MMS, but they plan on "adding that functionality" late summer 2009.

10. Anonymous says:

the correct address for alltel is 10digitphnumber@mms.alltel.net

ps…i am on alltel & this past wk-end they merged w/verizon…i still have to use the above address for my phone so far to send pics etc via email to my cellph…i guess in the future it will change…but as for now continue using mms.alltel.net

11. datta says:

i am from india using airtel.relience and tata they also provide mobile email address?

12. Nownow says: