If your phone is from Nextel (the business side of Sprint Nextel), here’s what you need to know about using SMS text messaging with your mobile.
- Maximum message length: 500 characters (including letters, punctuation and system-generated characters).
- What happens to longer messages: Unknown
- Cost per message: 10 cents per message; 25 cents per image/audio message (bulk plans available)
- For more information: Nextel Text Messaging FAQs
- Sending email to a Nextel phone: Use the address format [10-digit telephone number]@messaging.nextel.com
Note: Some commenters have pointed out that the @messaging.nextel.com address isn’t true SMS and requires the receiver to launch a Java application on their Nextel phone. I haven’t been able to verify that. However, you might try this address for true SMS messages: [10-digit telephone number]@page.nextel.com
If anyone has a Nextel phone and can try both addresses, let us know in the comments here!
Nextel’s predictive text-entry mode (aka “T9″ mode) is called WORD mode. Cycle through the modes in the lower right of the screen (NUM, ALPHA, WORD) to find WORD mode. Then you can enter text by press one button per letter. More on T9 text entry.
Last updated 4/29/2010